Sunday, November 6, 2016

Week of November 7

Life got a little crazy last week and I was unable to spend time on this blog with an ailing parent and 7 hours in an emergency room.  Please know my first commitment is to be prepared for the classroom and teaching, so I will try my best to keep this blog updated on a weekly basis, but it may take the "back seat" when needed.

This coming week is a four day week with Friday off for Veteran's Day. I also have a professional development day on Wednesday from 9-3 and the fourth graders will have a substitute.  I dislike being out of the classroom and try very hard to be here on a daily basis.  At this point in time, I am not sure who the substitute is, but will let students know as soon as I know.  I would greatly appreciate parental support in reminding your child that a substitute is a guest in our school and it is the student's job to be as courteous and well behaved by following the directions they are given.

We have begun our science unit on light.  This unit is both filled with science concepts and engineering tasks.  We worked on our first engineering task last week where students had to build a square or rectangular boat (so they could determine the volume) that would hold at least 25 pennies, but sink by the time 30 pennies were added. Students learned about the engineering process and quickly understood that redesigning and recreating prototypes are a huge part of the engineering process.  This next week we will be delving into science probes and testing what we think we know about light.  An experiment in the dark will be occurring. (More about this later, as I do not want to spoil the outcome.)

Thank you to families who are helping their children learn their times tables.  Many students are progressing nicely and have put mastery stars on their chart for specific times tables.  Those students who are motivated are putting in the effort and it shows!

Here are some pics of students working on their boat designs and tests:

I can't seem to get the pictures to sit where I want them, so sorry for the layout.  (Sometimes technology is too much fun!) Looking forward to a great week ahead.



 


No comments:

Post a Comment